Roasted Pear with Creamy Blue Cheese Salad
Roasted Pear with Creamy Blue Cheese Salad is not my wife’s favorite salad for sure. She does not like Blue cheese in any fashion. That said, I must admit that there are some cheeses here in Mexico that I leave to her and her friends to enjoy. They are not for me. We both know what each other likes when it comes to cheeses.
She has many cheeses, mostly Mexican and crafted by solo cheese makers that make only one kind of cheese. This means for each different cheese she wants, she must visit a different cheese maker.My needs are simple, A well aged cheddar, a great blue cheese and some good feta. For those I just head to Costco or Sam’s club. One stop shopping. But I regress, back to the salad.
This salad is another example of simple ingredients yielding outstanding results. When you combine the peppery taste of fresh arugula with the distinctive, but smooth taste of a creamy blue cheese and the inherent sweetness of roasted pears, you don’t need much else. Add a drizzle of rich balsamic glaze right before serving for truly outstanding results.
- 4 cups arugula, washed and dried
- 4 oz. creamy blue cheese, like Saint Agur French Triple Cream, divided into small chunks
- 2 ripe red or green pears, cored and cut into equal-size wedges
- 2 T. olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 T. really good extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (or spray with non-stick cooking spray). Arrange pear slices on sheet, leaving space in between to prevent overcrowding. Lightly brush each pear slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and flip each pear slice. Return to oven and continue roasting until evenly browned and soft, approximately 10 – 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on them the first time you make them as oven roasting times will vary).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add 1 cup of balsamic vinegar to a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue stirring until liquid is reduced to ⅓ of its original volume. Liquid will become thick and syrupy when it is ready.
- To serve, divide arugula, roasted pear slices and blue cheese between 4 plates. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately with fresh-cracked black pepper and sea salt, if desired.
We have friends that are moving back up to Arizona at the end of the month and we will be having them over for lunch a couple of times before they go. They visited here a couple of times and then five months ago, they moved here to retire only to discover that they are not happy here so they are headed back to the states. Today this is the salad we will be serving. My wife will accept the Roasted Pear with Creamy Blue Cheese Salad because she loves pears. I won’t put any of the blue cheese on her arugula. I consider this to be a whole foods recipe because I consider cheese to be a whole food.
We will miss our friends and we’re sorry to see them go. I do write posts about life here in Mexico and suggest that you know before you go. I will add another one this coming week and explain what it was that caused them to change their mind after selling much of what they owned in the states and moving here.
We invite you to sign up on the right side of the article for our newsletter and we will share recipes and lifestyle information about retirement with you.I also invite you to like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChefWilliamOnline We have some good recipes and other healthy living ideas we would love to share with you.