We consider this to The Best Banana Bread Recipe but I am sure there are those that have their own recipes that would disagree with me. That’s fair. There are a great number of Banana Bread recipes out there. The object is to take one and make it your own.
Banana bread is a sweet-tasting bread which is cooked into loaves made from mashed bananas. It is a quick bread that utilizes baking soda to help it rise or acts a leavening agent for the bread. Many cooks like to make variations in their banana bread recipe by adding nuts or raisins or other ingredients. It is a simple recipe that does not need complex ingredients and does not even need an electric beater if you do not have one.
Banana bread was popularized in mid 1900’s when baking soda was also popularized. In some Asian countries, banana bread is a regular food and can also be served as an alternative to white bread.
We have about a dozen banana trees in our backyard so making banana bread is a natural way to use up some of the bananas that we are always blessed with..of course with that many bananas getting ripe at the same time, I am baking banana bread to give away to the people living near us and to family. In Mexico everyone shares whatever they have, so in return others are always giving us from their crops. Things such as avocados from the people living across the street. Our avocado tree will be producing soon so then I will be sharing those recipes soon.
- 1 cup butter for shortening
- 5 over-ripe bananas, mashed well
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 4 free range chicken eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
- 1 ½ teaspoon Mexican vanilla
- Combine shortening, bananas and sugar.
- Slowly add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Sift baking soda, flour and salt together.
- Alternately add the other dry ingredients along with the buttermilk to the batter mixture.
- Add the vanilla and nuts and mix the banana bread mixture well.
- You will need two greased loaf pans for the entire banana bread recipe mixture.
- Do not fill to the top since the banana bread recipe will rise, you might like to give at least an inch space from the rim of the loaf pans.
- Bake the mixture for seventy to eighty minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the bread.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a baking rack
Banana bread is a nutritious alternative to white bread and can also be made with wheat bread or whole grain. There are many variations to the traditional banana bread but the more effective banana bread recipe calls for overripe bananas. If you do not use overripe bananas, the tendency is that the top of the banana bread loaf will remain moist and you will have a hard time distinguishing if it is already done or not.
We invite you to like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChefWilliamOnline We add more recipes to that page from both of our blogs.